Intro

Hello family, friends, neighbors, and everyone I love and care about. I know you all are concerned and want to know how I am doing and what has been going on. I can not keep track of who to text, who to email, who's expecting a call.....so I have decided to try to keep a blog in order to update everyone at once! Please be sure to post your comments, well wishes, and prayers for our little family. Also share this with your friends, acquaintances, anyone who can relate or even on your facebook walls....I would love comments from anyone going through this or has faced the recovery after surgery. Thank you everyone for being there for us, and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Lung Surgery and Hospital Stay

We arrived at our favorite parking stall about 7:05 am, on Wednesday, Jan 9, 2013, and check in time at the surgery waiting area wasn’t until 8:00 am. Steven asked if I wanted to nap or head on over. I would have liked to nap, but my bladder had a different idea all together. Though today we had to go to the hospital instead of the DCAM building, you get to one just as quick as the other from the parking garage bridge. Stopped by the security desk to inquire the directions to the “Family Surgery Waiting Room” aka P2-11. He stepped over a few feet and pointed to a line on the floor and said, “Just follow this burgundy line and you will get there”. We walked and chatted while following this mysterious line, going left and then turning right, a little uphill along the way, through hallways and corridors…felt kind of like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, following the yellow brick road. The hike seemed like a good half mile or so, I have no idea if that is even close to accurate…but we arrived around 7:30 am for check in. We were sitting there waiting patiently, and around 8:30 am, a very pleasant woman came over and badly mispronounced my last name as she informed us that it would probably be an hour before they would be ready for me. I corrected the pronunciation of my name, and thanked her for updating me, rather than leave me sit not knowing. I pulled out my iPad to check email, and Steven pulled his cap down over his eyes and it made the time go by.




They came and got us about 10:30 am; it was finally my turn for pre-op, and time to get on with the rest of my life. I went in with a positive attitude and determined to be the best patient I could possibly be. Everything was going great, until this nurse (who could not pronounce my last name either) pulled out the shark spear that she was about to plug into my very fragile veinL I forced a smile as I handed her my left hand for her to begin the torture. My husband, my hero, to my rescue…begins to poke me in the eyes to distract me…LMAO! The six inch IV was in and taped very securely in place, this part of the torture is over. At least they will put the other two in after they have knocked me out!




Next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes in ICU. Before I could even blink they were plugging me into machines and hooking me up to a breathing treatment. Then one nurse started asking stupid questions, like what year is it and crap like that. I was trying to answer these stupid questions and the other nurse was barking the “breath” order at me, with my breathing treatment tubes sticking out of my face and all the while I haven’t even come around enough to know if I am alive. Thank you God! That continued to play through my mind, as they worked at getting everything done they needed to do.

My Best Friend

What the?

I Hate You!
After completing all tests and blood work, I was in stable condition. That was when they introduced me to what they called “My New Best Friend” a breathing apparatus. I have not, nor will I ever call this contraption any kind of friend! It sits right next to me all day long, and as much as I hate it, I use it all day long! 



Thursday January 10, 2013 started out as a good strong day with everything positive. I could have gotten sprung from ICU, but there were no available beds in the hospital due to the flu going around. On the plus side, I didn't have to share a room with anyone that might be sick. I also ended up with some the most painful muscle spasms on my right shoulder blade and under my armpit that would bring tears to my eyes. Of course this happens after they turn off my morphine pump and start me on Vicodin so I could go home. They can’t send you home on morphine, so I had to make the switch. 




We did come to discover, that if I would NOT use my newly traumatized arm to push myself up off the bed or the chair, it would not go into excruciating and painful spasms! So that bettered my day, as well as a quick call from my best friend Valerie and the love of my life at my side! 


As everyone knows, you can never get any rest in the hospital. Vitals at the top of every hour, medications…never all at once, and the breathing treatment every four hours, who has time to sleep? 


Friday January 11, 2013 I was finally moved to a regular room. Now missing my privacy a bit, just hoping that some with the flu does not get the bed next to mine. My surgeon, Dr. Vigneswaran came to check on me, and I filled him in on the loss of blood from my chest tube. After looking at it briefly, he put on some gloves, pushed a few times in a few places that could have made anyone scream! My hero again, distracting me from this painfully obvious situation I was in, by mushing my face into his side. My glasses almost became a permanent fixture on my face, but we pried them loose before it was too late. The Dr. was barking breathing orders at me, and announced he was going to pull my chest tube! It was over quickly and I could begin to compose myself again. He said that my tube was leaking because I did not have enough skin fat to hold it more securely in place.


That was already enough action for me that day; I was falling asleep before my honey was even ready to leave. He texted me when he was home safely and I must have sleep texted him back because neither of us knows what the heck it says. LOL!


Saturday January 12, 2013 I am going home! I was up with breakfast ordered about 7:30 am. Thought I would watch some General Hospital on my iPad while eating and working on Friday’s puzzle. The Intern popped in around 10:00 am, and everything checked out great, just need another x-ray and I am on my way home!


Everyone at the hospital was outstanding from beginning to end. I cannot say enough about the wonderful care I feel I have received from University of Chicago Hospital. All the Doctors, nurses and other employees have been a shining example of team work and played a crucial role in my surgery and recovery.

~Romans 8:28

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

I tried to get this blog posted on 1/17/12, but ended up in the ER! I will try to get that blog on in the next couple of days.

Another fun filled day downtown tomorrow, stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Shirley. Love you and praying each day gets easier. Love Annie, Pete, Elijah, Amaria and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are amazingly tough. Keep getting better. Your friend Ray.

    ReplyDelete